Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Beer, Beer and more Beer....

Well, this week I am reviewing four beers that are new to me but may not be new to you. Therefore, I shall tell you what I think of them and you let me know if you feel the same way. If you have not tried these before, then, try them and tell me what you think.



This is a belgian strong ale brewed in Cincinnati, Ohio and has been there since 1853. Founded by Christian Moerlein, It was resurrected in 1981 and was one of the only American breweries to pass the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516.  In 2004 it was purchased by a native of Cincinnati named Gregory Hardman. This particular beer, has an up front creaminess and just enough hops to balance the flavor. Amber in color with a light creamy head this beer will be on you list for next Christmas. I for one, enjoyed this beer and will again!



Innis and Gunn was born from an accidental tasting. Originally, it was meant to give Scotch a beer flavor. The beer was put into oak barrels and then (sadly) poured out. The workers thought it was a waste so they started drinking the beer and found it to be the best tasting around. 
I was tasting the Rum Cask which was aged in rum barrels for 60 days. The minute you open the bottle you can smell the aroma of rum as you pour it into the glass. This is a creamy ale with rum flavor and hints of vanilla. Light on the hops but with a smooth clean finish. This year they will be coming out with a stout aged in irish whiskey barrels. This is the first stout for Innis and Gunn, and if history has proven itself, it should be a winner too!



In November of 2002, Dale Katechis founded Oskar Blues Brewery and started his "canned beer apocalypse" on the craft beer world. His signature beer Dale's pale ale was a hit and started turning heads in the craft beer world. When old chub came out, people took them for real. This is a great scotch strong ale with flavors of coffee and chocolate and a slight smokiness to it. I can take this beer where I can't take others. Being a canned beer, it can always go where bottles cannot. This will be on my list of beers for camping, fishing and other activities where glass bottles just won't work. The bonus with this beer is the 8 percent ABV so I can forgo the case of beer for just a couple of 6 packs!




22 years ago, Left Hand Brewery started out as a home brewing kit and a love for beer. Dick Doore and Eric Wallace founded the brewery and have not looked back since. The beer of choice this week is the Black Jack Porter. Chocolate and coffee in flavor with a medium body. A slight hop spice on the end but does not take away for the flavor or finish. For all of you dark beer fans, this is an easy drinking beer in the bottle or the pint.
I'm looking forward to the new milk stout nitro coming out this year. It will be debuted in Atlanta on March 1st and 2nd. I might have a trip to Atlanta on my horizon for the premier.

Try these beers and let me know what you think. I'm going to start paring beers with foods soon and let you know my take on what goes with what. Also, Super Bowl this weekend so go out and get your favorite craft brew and enjoy the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment