Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Whiskey and Beer update....


RIP VAN WINKLE 12 YEAR OLD


I finally went back and tasted the Rip Van Winkle 12 year old that I picked up in Tennessee. I don't know about all of you out there but when I first taste a whiskey I have never had before, I don't use ice and I drink out of a nice sifter in order to get all of the aromas and flavors. Now to the whiskey. After a generous pour you get floral and wood aromas with a hint of vanilla. After the first sip there is a creamy vanilla and carmel on the tongue with a nice little spice on the end. Hints of oak round out the flavor of this Bourbon and gives this a well balanced flavor. I will definitely make sure that I have this Bourbon in my collection from now on.





INNIS AND GUNN IRISH WHISKY CASK


I had been waiting on this one because I have tried all of the others. This one has a light aroma of cocoa and chocolate which an irish whisky undertone. At first taste, you get the cocoa and light creamy malty body with that distinct irish whisky flavor. This beer is a great Scottish Stout that has been aged in irish whisky barrels for 60 days. This will be one of my go to stouts in the future!








DOGFISH HEAD WORLD WIDE STOUT


While I'm on stouts, I decided to go ahead and try the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. It has aromas of cocoa and coffee and flavors of chocolate and cocoa. This is a full flavor stout with, as I quote " a ridiculous amount of barley" which is roasted to perfection. A tinge of vanilla on the palate with a very minor hop on the end makes this a must try for all stout lovers.


That's it for this week, in a couple of weeks when I get enough beer bottles I start my first batch of home brew. Going to start with an Irish Red Ale for which I will call "Lucy" for the most famous redhead in the world. Wish me luck and I hope I don't screw this up too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment