Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tennessee Mountians and everything else...

Leaving Atlanta this morning and traveling through Tennessee to Kentucky. The Mountians of north Georgia and eastern Tennessee are a sight to behold. The difference today is that it was raining today which made it all that more alluring. Passing through Chattanooga and heading to Nashville at about mile marker 111, you see the detour to Jack Daniels Distillery and at mile marker 105 you see the detour to George Dickel distillery. Having been to Jack Daniels twice before, I decided to go and see the Dickel distillery. As usual, it was further off the highway than first expected, (15 miles) but I was pleasantly surprised at how authentic looking it was. Benny, my nephew has never been to a distillery before so this was fun for me to be with someone who's first time it was to tour a distillery and watch and comment on the process. We thought that the two of us were going to be the only folks on the tour until 10 minutes before the tour, a bus load of active senior citizens pulled up and unloaded. A delightful group, we started the tour and chatted it up with them and had a wonderful time. The tour lasted about 30 minutes and we headed back to the gift shop and found out that we were in a "dry county" and could not taste the whiskey. Oh well, I bought whiskey any way and said our goodbyes to the tour and headed on our way to Kentucky.
When we arrived at our destination (my son and daughter-in-laws home on Ft. Knox) I decided to taste the whiskey there. A glass of the #12 10 yr. old and a good cigar (a Cuban Churchill) was in order. I was awesomely surprised at the flavor of the whiskey, smooth and velvety body with a hint of vanilla and a slight spice but balanced finish.
When I arrived at my room later on, I opened the barrel select 12 yr. old and had a glass and it was greater surprise that his was even better than the #12.
If you have a chance to try these Whiskies I would recommend that you do and make sure you visit the distillery too.

No comments:

Post a Comment